Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hello Irene...Where Are You Going?

With the Saint's game about to come on, I'm updating my blog earlier than usual. NHC has named 97L Trop. Storm Irene and predicts her to become the 1st hurricane of 2011 before she reaches Haiti/Dominican Republic on Tuesday. The interaction with that mountainous terrain will weaken her as she heads into Eastern Cuba. Our key day (in determining whether we'll need to worry about Irene) will be on Wednesday. If Irene stays on a more southern track and remains south of Cuba beyond 80 degrees west, then there will be the potential Irene could get into the Gulf late Thursday into Friday. However, ALL current indications point for a quicker turn to the north impacting Florida and then up the east coast. We would be on the weak (dry) side of Irene and have no wind or sea impacts. As a word of caution, when a storm is just starting out, the early NHC forecasts are often incorrect (Katrina 2005, Emily 2011). The latest model runs all keep Irene well to our east so AT THIS MOMENT, we have nothing to worry about. As always, pay attention to the weather the next 5-7 days to make sure Irene is not our problem. I'll update my blog as warranted/ Enjoy the Saint's on FOX 8.

12 comments:

Richard said...

Thanks Bob! You are the only weather guy I trust when it comes to Hurricane Season! Oh, BTW, please ban Caveman...he is abusing your web site. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mr. Breck for being the voice of experience to inform us, and the voice of reason to keep us calm. I look to you to for accurate weather forecasts all year, but especially during hurricane season.
Lets just hope Irene and all others stay away!

bayoubuckeye said...

Okay Bob, I know we are talking a good 3-5 days until we can really get a good picture of where Irene is going, but what is your experience telling you about this one? I only watch Fox 8 because you are on it, because I consider you the best weather person in the region even though you went to UM. lol

Caveman said...

Everything I am seeing points to Irene shifting to the left and avoid much of the higher mountains which is not good as she looks more and more like she will enter the Gulf... I say landfall will be Alabama.

Anonymous said...

THE FOX-8 WEATHER TEAM IS MY STATION FOR UPTO THE MINTUE WEATHER AND BOB BRECK IS MY HURRICANE GUY

Anonymous said...

Models seem to favor a shift to the right. Tracking just east of Fla and going into SC/NC coast. Hope the high over Texas holds strong.

Caveman said...

What have I done now? Good grief folks chill out... Never said ANYTHING about a hurricane hitting Louisiana or about death and destruction. You guys need a martini or something.

Anonymous said...

IF IT SHIFT'S TO THE RIGHT WOULD THAT BE GOOD FOR US.

Bob Breck said...

There has been no major change with Irene this afternoon as Hurricane Hunters and satellite loops show her struggling to get stronger. Since she will be interacting with Puerto Rico tonight and the Dominican Republic/Haiti tomorrow, rapid strengthening is not expected. NHC still makes Irene a hurricane but all model runs project a turn to the north east of Fl. keeping Irene out of the Gulf. I'll have my update later tonight.

Ebbie said...

So far, it looks like alot of the storms are heading up the east coast like last year. As far as I care, keep ALL the hurricanes away from us. Let them bother someone else. I don't want to wish bad luck on anyone, but we don't need anymore hurricanes for a long, long time. People are still a little jittery after Katrina. But I trust Bob 100% as far as I'm concerned, he is the new Nash Roberts. If Bob is in a goofy mood, that's a good thing. But when he is in a serious mood, watch out it ain't good. So when he says don't worry, then don't worry until there is something to worry about.

bayoubuckeye said...

Looked at all the loops this evening, looks to me Irene is going farther west due to a front. You can see some flatting as it is hitting some sheer, but it is growing into a huge storm. I'm no expert, I leave that to "The Great One" Mr. Breck.

Anonymous said...

I SURE HOPE IT STAY'S OUT OF LOUISIANA BUT AS ALWAYS I WILL STAY TUNE TO THE CHANNEL-8 WEATHER TEAM