Saturday, March 23, 2013

Another Legend Says Goodbye...

When I first joined Ch. 8 in April 1978, Alec Gifford was my News Director, Buddy Diliberto was our Sports Director.  Alec was 50 & Buddy D. was 46.  I was the new kid at age 30 and these 2 fine gentlemen took me under their wings and helped "educate" me about New Orleans.  The 1st stop was Casamento's on Magazine when Buddy woofed down 2 dozen "ersters" in a matter of minutes.  After a lot of encouragement, I sucked down my 1st raw oyster EVER!  I didn't like it at the time, but now really enjoy them.  Some truly legends were on local TV then...Wayne Mack (the Great McNutt), Mel (the Voice) Leavitt, Hap Glaudi, Bill Elder, Nash Roberts, Al Duckworth, Angela Hill & Garland Robinette (obviously still with us!), Buddy D, and of course Alec Gifford.  What all of these folks had was a love for New Orleans.  As I enter what I know is the Winter of my life, I hope people will remember me as they do these individuals,... unique characters, lovable broadcasters and dedicated to their trade.  Goodbye Alec.   I'll remember you as my first boss, but always as my friend.

A major weather change will remind us that Winter is not going down without a fight.  After near 80 today, we'll need sweaters & jackets for most of next week with a light freeze possible on the North Shore on Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday mornings.  Some showers may accompany the cold front later tonight & early on Sunday, but after that expect 4-5 dry, but cool days.

2 comments:

Bonniesinc said...

My condolences on the loss of your friend and to his family. I must say I was a bit surprised to see you are still in NOLA. I thought the humidity would have chased you off by now. Glad you and your family have found a home there.

Bourbon St. Blues said...

Bob you are among the legends of broadcasting here and are Naturally Nawlins...