Sunday, June 19, 2016

Wins of My Father...

I lost my Dad 15 years ago to a brain tumor at age 80.  It was difficult to say goodbye, but my memories of Pop were mostly good ones.   From early on, I remember Dad being “The Coach” in little league.   His teams always won championships because he instilled an attitude of trying, not being afraid to fail.  Never strike out with the bat on your shoulder, be aggressive, think you can hit the ball.  Play the game with passion and give it everything you’ve got.   Dad’s teams were winners because Coach Bernie wouldn’t let them lose.    My older brother Jim was always on Dad’s team.  I envied him, but finally in Babe Ruth I was able to be coached by my Dad.  The pride I had, to be one of Bernie’s kids was exceptional.  The regret to this day is I never told him so.   Being from a Slovak/Polish (Slo-Pol !) background, expressing feelings was something you didn’t do.  I think Dad just knew, like when I rounded 3rd base after hitting a home run, Dad said…”never thought you could hit it that far son.”  Yep, Dad knew.     But why have regrets?  If your Dad is still around, go tell him how proud you are to be his son or daughter.  Don’t assume he knows.  Thank him for giving you life.    Happy Father’s Dad Pop.

 

NHC has a hurricane hunter flying into low pressure over the southern Gulf.  Based on satellite pictures of a well-defined circulation, they probably will make it a TD or maybe even T.S. Danielle later today.  It will bring some heavy rains into Mexico tonight and on Monday.  The rest of the Tropics are quiet as the frontal boundary over the northern Gulf has dissipated.

 

Opened the paper to see the headline…” Obama says climate change already damaging national parks.”   Huh?  Has the President not been to a National Park before?  Has he not seen the different layers of rock formations deposited during various climate cycles of the past.   Has he not seen how past climate change has “damaged” (better word is changed) the face of our Planet?  It’s an ongoing process.  We cannot stop the Earth’s climate from changing.   If the President wants better air quality (less CO2), then say so.  To mislead the public to believe we have the power to control climate is not factual.   Kind of like…”you can keep your own doctors”.     I agree, it is about power to control.

No comments: