Sunday, July 17, 2016

Ain't that a Shame!

As I mentioned several weeks back, retirement has allowed me to read books again. (instead of just keeping up with weather journals)   I finally finished BLUE MONDAY – Fats Domino & the lost dawn of Rock N Roll by Rick Coleman.  This book came out nearly 10 years ago and is a fascinating read about how Fats got started and how difficult those early days were due to segregation.   To think Pat Boone recorded “Ain’t that a shame” but released it as “Isn’t that a shame”!!!     For all the black musicians, those early days of Rock N Roll were quite a struggle.     Fats was the King even though most think Elvis is, but Elvis only took the music that Fats invented.   To see how his hits were inspired (you won’t believe the story of “Walking to New Orleans”) was eye opening and educational.  I highly recommend BLUE MONDAY as summer reading for anyone who loves the history of music.

 

What’s there to talk about weather-wise?   NOTHING.  It’s July, it’s supposed to be hot with spotty storms and it is.      It appears we’ll continue with our Tropical Snooze for the next 10-14 days, perhaps longer.     We are about 3 weeks away from entering the most active (historically) part of Hurricane Season.  Once we reach October, our chances for a major storm hitting us declines dramatically.  So for the next 8-10 weeks, it’s pay attention time which we always do in August & September.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Up in Indianapolis for a week and Saturday Morning I woke up to 62 degrees and low humidity...if felt like November for us....here I was expected to have the heat and humidity hit me in the face and had to pinch myself to the cool temps...it rained this morning and is quite comfortable out. I believe a front has passed and cooler temps for tomorrow morning is expected with highs on the 80's....I heard by Friday they are expecting heat and humidity back...but said the temps would top out about 91 or 92...Nothing I certainly can't handle...I got this...

Of course the other thing that takes a little getting used to is being on the Western edge of the Eastern Time Zone, plus being further north than home...its not getting dark to 10PM and still at that time you can still see that crimson in the western sky....

And lastly I cannot go without mentioning....feel blessed that we live in a great city with the best food....its a challenge up here....all I can say... I'll be Walk'n to New Orleans at the end of the week....