Monday, August 29, 2016

Back in the Saddle Again...

With apologies to Gene Autry, I was back doing what I love to do & that’s talking about the tropics on-air on FOX 8.  I’ll be back for 9 & 10 PM with David Bernard and again tomorrow morning with Shelby Latino.  My role is to question the NHC guidance based on computer models and to give my opinion based on decades of experience.  Don’t get me wrong, when a tropical system threatens the Gulf, ALL channel should be singing from the same songbook.  However, it is up to experience to recognize when the melody changes and that’s what I look for.  Otherwise, why watch TV when you can get so much info on the web?   People like me provide extra value information to the discussion from NHC.  For instance, this afternoon, David & I noticed what appears to be another circulation forming well south of where the Recon Aircraft fixed a center.  Is that important?  Absolutely since if that is a new center fix, the model forecasts would have to be adjusted.   RIGHT NOW, all models keep this system well to our east, including VIPIR.  What I am look for is anything that would indicate a westward shift in the track.   One thing that appears certain, whatever does develop over the Gulf will not be another Katrina as there is too much wind shear over the northern Gulf plus the loop current that fueled Katrina is displaced way farther to the west.   Can we totally relax knowing this system is not coming?  Of course not.  Until that turn to the north and then NE, we need to pay attention.  Tonight at 9 & 10 PM,  I’ll try to show you why the upper TUTT lows are making for a hostile environment over the northern Gulf.   Stay tuned!

 

One thing retirement has taught me is I cannot work full time anymore.  Thanks TO David & Nicondra for helping me create my graphics.  Gramps is already running out of fuel!   See you at 9 PM

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was great seeing you. I feel you passed the baton to a perfect choice. Thank you for your dedication to us in Louisiana. It was delightful to watch you and David play off each other. You're both very loved and held in very high esteem.

AlbanySnowMaker said...

It was great seeing you on the air today Bob... Don't worry about those trolls on the Jeff Masters WU blog... We love the way you present the forecast. You're one of a kind. Thanks for being YOU. :))