Thursday, November 30, 2017

Hurricane Season 2017 Ends...

While the “Fat Lady” sang for us way back in mid-October, the official end of this hurricane season is tonight at midnight.   It was a very active season, even more so than predicted as above normal SST (sea surface Tenps) coupled with the lack of El Nino led to 8 major hurricanes.   Fortunately, LA/MS were spared any major damage, but what happened in Texas, South Florida, Puerto Rico & the Virgin Islands should send up the red flag waring us of future potential impacts down the road.  We know it’s not a matter of IF, but rather WHEN.  Our location on the central Gulf coast places us in the bullseye for storm activity.   You can take steps (install shutters, install hurricane resistant glass, install hurricane clips & straps)to mitigate future damages, but they all cost money.  Either you pay before the storm or you’ll pay afterwards as insurance companies instituted “hurricane deductibles”  that’ll cost you between 2-5% out of pocket.  If it were me (and I have), I’d find ways to make my home more hurricane resistant during the six months leading up to next year.

 

I had a friend tell me that it seems what used to happen in October is now happening in November.  The start of winter cold appears to be delayed by 4-6 weeks.  Since I hate the cold, I have no problem with that as what we have now is as cold as I like… perhaps another 10-15 degrees colder, but no more.     Well, it looks like that is coming by the second week in December as a deep trough will dive over the Great Lakes (Polar Vortex!) forcing the Arctic chill way down to the Gulf coast.  After being 80+ early next week, we could see highs a week from tomorrow stay in the 40s!   Burrrr!   But I promised I wouldn’t whine and so I won’t.   Suck it up Breckster and put on the cold weather gear…in your house!   If I didn’t have to walk the dog, I’d be fine.    But before the chill will come temperatures way too warm for early December.   The real question will be…Will the cold last for 2,3,4+ weeks or more?  Or we just have several days before we warm back up?   My thinking is it’ll last for several weeks putting us all in the Christmas Spirit.   I’m hearing the song already…”It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas everywhere we go”.  Hang in there all you cold air freaks.  It’s coming next week.   Stay tuned!

No comments: