Friday, January 12, 2018

More Cold? Bring It On...

I finished prepping my yard before dark and the only thing left to decide is do I run some water tonight?   I’ll make that decision before I go to sleep around 11 pm.  RIGHT NOW, the morning low is projected to be 29 on the South Shore, meaning I won’t run the water since we won’t stay 28 or lower for 4 hours or more.   Another cold surge is coming for Saturday night and Sunday morning could be 25-30 south of lake P.  Of course those of you living farther to the north will need full precautions both nights.  But there’s more ( as Lee Zurik would say).    Yet another Arctic blast is coming down next week that could be even colder than this weekend’s chill.   It’s unlikely I’ll do anything with my outside stuff until I can see a prolonged spell of milder temps.   That won’t happen for the next 7-10 days.  Hey, it could be worse.  Minneapolis is currently zero with a morning low of minus 10 !   Burrrrr.

Yet many New Orleanians are going up for the game this weekend.   We all have high hopes that our guys prevail and make another step to returning to the Super Bowl…which will be played this year in…Minneapolis. 

 

The problem with Winter cold in the South is it never lasts very long so we never get acclimated to the chill.   The constant wild temperature swings make our bodies struggle to stay healthy and in part contributes to our flu season.  So many of my friends have had a bout with it, even those who had the flu shot.    I’m taking my vitamins, exercising several times a week and making sure I get 8-9 hours of sleep.   Rest (or lack of) is probably one of the biggest factors in protecting our bodies from getting sick, especially as you get older.   In my “youth” (translation-working years), I got by on 6-7 hours of sleep.   At 70+, I need more time to rejuvenate my body, hence more time for sleep.    I will sleep well tonight knowing the sun will be back tomorrow.  Stay tuned!

No comments: