Saturday, April 4, 2020

Time Goes By So Slowly...

The Righteous Brother's song hits many of us hard as we are confined to our homes trying to pass the time of day.  I worked on getting my yard pretty for the past few weeks and my flowers are doing great!






The last pic is one of my 5 shrimp plants that has started to bloom.  Alas, I got tired of yard work so I ventured into my attic before it gets too hot to do some cleaning/throwing out of old stuff.
I came across this photo from 1943 of my Dad (Bernie) on the left, his Dad (Albert) in the middle and Bernie's younger brother (Gene) on the right. I hadn't seen this pic in over 50 years and it brought back such good memories and comfort during the uncertain times we now live.   Back then the uncertainty was WW2 and my Dad was in his Army uniform, lean & mean at 5'9" and 125 lbs.  My Grandpa Albert was a former bodybuilder and he was a solid 5'10 and 165.  My Uncle Gene was the tall one at 6', much like my late brother Jim.  At 5'4", I obviously took after my 5'2" Mother Dorothy. These old pictures are great to remind us our parents were at onetime young!



Not much happening on the weather scene.  A stalled front is to our west with some really chilly air behind it.   Another strong storm is along the west coast and that'll bring our next real cold front for later next week.   We are not done seeing April cold fronts as models bring several through us during the next 10-14 days.


We're likely to see lots of clouds but little rain until that next front arrives on Thursday.  Note how cold Houston is behind this first front.  DFW & OKC are in the 40s!   We won't get that chilly late next week during the day, but our nighttime temps could dip that low.  Finally, the Corps did open the Spillway but it will be with fewer gates open and for way less time than last year.   Rather than dwell on more negative news, I'm sticking to past family memories and my garden flowers.  I suggest you do too.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Sally Taylor Harasty said...

Thank you for the lovely photos of your lovely garden................although mine looks nice
(Master Gardener class of 2003 St. Tammany) yours is already gorgeous!! I don't recognize the pink flowers..................what are they.............a tropical, held through the winter? Thanks for sharing your family photos. I miss your regular weather broadcasts. We share having our children in Colorado.................I think you have said your son is in the Longmont area, whereas, my daughter and son-in-law and married grandaughter, live in beautiful Colorado Springs. Im sure you have toured the gardens at the LOVELY Broadmoor
Resort in Colorado Springs. Stay safe and offer your prayers for all in need.