Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Good Bye Old Friend...

While I await the 4 PM NHC update, I'd like to salute the Lady who was my very 1st weather observer at Ch. 8.   I arrived here in April of 1978 and immediately asked on-air if anyone who had  a rain gauge would be interested in becoming a Ch. 8 "weather watcher" for their neighborhood.  Miss Betty Deimel was the first to call and for 38 years was my "Metry observer".   She has continued to be loyal to FOX 8 still reporting even after I retired.
Miss Betty was a specially gracious lady who had a love for weather.  She was active nearly to the end of her 97+ years on this planet with the above picture with Bruce Katz taken not long ago. She really NEVER looked her age!  Back in 1978, there were no computers, no automatic reading gauges, no instant updates.  I relied on the many folks like Miss Betty to provide me with info no one else had.  To her, I owe part of my success.  Till we meet again Miss Betty...Peace.

Not much is happening with Cristobal as his center is partly over land.  NHC has made no changes to their track forecast.



However, in their morning discussion they mentioned..."global models show increased southwesterly wind shear...over the northern Gulf & this should limit intensification."   They also noted..."significant UNCERTAINTY as to how strong (or weak) a cyclone we will be dealing with near the northern Gulf coast this weekend."     I like hearing that.  Next update in about 2 hours.  Stay tuned!

No comments: