Friday, October 26, 2012

80 + Streak Is Over...

You knew it couldn't last the deeper we got into October. Today's 84 high marks 17 straight days of 80+, but a drastic change has arrived tonight bringing noticeably colder air that will keep highs in the 60s for the next 4-5 days.  The circulation around Hurricane Sandy is enhancing the northerly flow of air and brisk north winds will linger into early next week.  It's back to sweaters, jackets & heavy coats, especially as over night lows dip into the 30s & 40s.

All computer models are latched into bringing Sandy back towards the Eastern U.S. coast north of the DelMarVa Peninsula making landfall early Tuesday near New York City.  Major impacts to power & transportation (airline delays/cancellations) should begin by Monday and last for many days as Sandy will be a slow mover dumping heavy rains (4-8") causing flooding much like or greater than last year's Hurricane Irene.  Hopefully all of the media hype will result in everyone being ready for the challenges that we face every hurricane season.  I fear many will ignore the warnings and think it's just another storm, another Nor'Easter.  Oh how wrong they will be.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I moved away from New Orleans 4 years ago, and am now in Pennsylvania. After living through Katrina and 4 other hurricanes, I never thought I'd end up in one this far north. But, that's not my point... my point is that I totally bypassed local weather information and came back to this blog to see what Bob Breck was saying. I wish he was a weather channel forecaster...I know he works for Nola but I still wish he was nationwide. :) I miss Bob Breck!!!!