Sunday, March 15, 2015

So Long My Friend...

In a little over 2 weeks, I will  celebrate my 37th anniversary with Ch. 8.   During those years,  I have been very fortunate to have many long time weather observers.  These are local folks who love the weather. Many are retired and “senior citizens”.  They don’t get paid but enjoy hearing their name every now and then.  Several have been calling in for over 20-30 years.  Such was the case of Dale Landry of Paincourtville.   Today I learned of Dale’s passing to the next life.  He was one of my most loyal observers.  I could ALWAYS count on his report when it rained.  It’s never easy to say good bye, but Dale made my job easier and for that I am grateful.   I have been a lucky man able to work doing a job I love for over 44 years.  I have meet so many wonderful people and Dale Landry was one of them.  So long my friend…

 

I will be highlighting the rising Mississippi River this week.  Tonight the Carrollton gage has almost reached 11 feet with a crest of 14 feet expected on March 31st.  That would be 3 feet below Flood Stage but uncomfortably close to having the Corps of Engineers call for opening the Spillway.   This rise is the combination of the rapid melt of 1-2 feet of snow plus 3-5 inches of heavy rainfall over the Ohio River Valley last week.  Hopefully we will not have any more heavy rainfall during the next 2-3 weeks up north that could add on to our crest.  Stay tuned!

No comments: