Wednesday, February 3, 2016

No Rain !!! But You'll Need Da Coats...

It’s not often that we can say no rain for the next 5-7 days, and I can’t say that tonight.   However, if computer models prove correct/verify, the only day we might see a stray (<20%) shower would be late Saturday.   Our issues won’t be wetness, but winds & cold coming in surges with brief warm ups in between.    The 1st cold surge is arriving tonight and you’ll need outer gear on Thursday despite a return of all day sunshine.  Friday will see less wind & perhaps highs around 60.  A weak upper disturbance will increase clouds on Saturday keeping highs in the 50s (40s at night) with a brief warm up for Sunday.  The real chill will arrive next week.  RIGHT NOW, it appears the coldest air plows through late Mardi Gras into Wednesday.   Regardless of the timing, our recent stretch of 70+(6 straight days) will not happen again for another 2 weeks as the Arctic cold keeps coming.   What did the Ground Hog say?   An early Spring?  Sure doesn’t look so.  Stay tuned!

 

Perhaps you’ve noticed my son has placed a countdown clock on www.bobbreck.com ?   We are counting down my remaining time at Ch. 8.   I’ll try to recall a funny moment each night that happened many years ago.    The first was 4 weeks on the job back in May of 1978.  Some of you might remember that was the 1st of our “100 year floods”.   Our anchorman/news Director Alec Gifford said…”let’s do a live shot front outside the station to show the flooding”.    Back then there were no “live trucks”.   So here I go sloshing out to a flooded car and sitting on the hood dragging the microphone cord through the water.    All I could think of was…”weather man electrocuted during flood”.   Luckily I wasn’t, the shot looked great and Alec proved to me he knew what was news.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob,
You have been on my television for the last 25 years. Thanks for all the important malformation you have given my family.

Unknown said...

Thank you for writing these stories Mr. Breck! My Grandfather, or better known as "Paw Paw", was Alec Gifford. At home he was just Paw Paw who let Grandmother or his grandchildren boss him around, and giggle at his boisterous/formal tone. Or, his ability to repeat something you said with a follow up question, a trait I have apparently inherited. However, this comment is not about him, other than to tell you thank you for sharing your personal stories. Moreover, to tell you that your legacy has carried even further than you may be aware. Just to give you an idea, my husband from Washington Parish, the person that thought guitar had two syllables (his words not mine), the person that asked 'what's INDY-MAYAN' when reading "Endymion" from a mardi gras cup at home. That husband to this day states, "Kelly, I don't know what the weather will be today. You know why? Because if it does not come from Bob Breck I don't listen to it. And you know why I don't check the weather? Because the day Bob Breck retired is the day I stopped listening to the weather stations."

Moral is thank you for your service and joy you've brought the state just by being present!

-Kindly,
Kelly Gifford