Sunday, April 24, 2016

Another Golden Voice is Silenced

I can’t tell you how many times when  I’m out in the community someone says…” I know your voice”.   Seems after 38 years I made an impression on many folks.  Soo too did Charlie Matkin, except his voice was “golden”.   I met Charlie back in the 80s when I added radio to my TV schedule.   He was a radio announcer with “the pipes”.  It was only many years later I discovered Charlie was way more than an announcer, he was a gifted singer.   Whether it was Opera or show tunes, Charlie could carry his own.  He even gave me a CD of his recordings which I treasure to this day, maybe even more so since last week Charlie died.    Charlie & Jean lived in a great house filled with memorabilia from his broadcasting & theater years.   I feel so lucky to have known them.  I may have a distinctive voice, but I can’t sing.  Oh, could Charlie sing and his voice will live on every time I play his CD.

 

It was a terrific weekend to be outdoors as the humidity stayed low making the warm sun feel good.  We all know that won’t last much longer but I hope we can squeeze another weekend of mostly dry weather for the 2nd weekend of Jazz Fest plus the Zurich Golf Classic.  These are 2 great events that showcase our city’s hospitality & food.    I’ll be out watching the golfers with my golf partner Marvin.  I’ll see some of you there.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Bob, the forecast to your retirement is sunny!!! It's always foggy doing something new, as this is. Isn't the weather amazing, though? I Love watching our city enjoy the ups and downs, especially as Jazz Fest goes on! Dave Bernard...a chip off the old block! Tonight, stays dry as we hope you do. For the rest of the week and into the weekend (and beyond), you are missed. But we value your contribution as we hope you enjoy your retirement! The NHS retires some storm names from last year...as we did with our favorite meteorologist!