Tuesday, February 28, 2017


Happy Mardi Gras...

During my working life, I could never travel during this time of the year because it was a ratings book plus you had to be involved in Mardi Gras coverage.  Retirement now allows me to to do what I want when I want.  Soooo, we just returned from a trip to St. John, Virgin Islands to see another Mardi Gras.   Unlike last year when it was chilly, this year was almost too hot.   What I'm told (since I wasn't here) was that almost every parade had terrific weather.   And since tomorrow begins Meteorological Spring, I guess the next question is...can we start to plant tomatoes & tropical vegetation?   Even though we can get frosts & light freezes into early April, I am not seeing any big dip in the upper steering over the eastern states that could do that for the next 10-14 days.   There is very cold air not that far from us and we'll feel quite a cool down for Thursday & Friday, but I don't see the potential for a freeze south of Lake P.     I have started to clean out the leaves from Fall around all my plants but my Winter annuals are blooming so nicely that I really don't need to replant anything just yet.   My real concern is "Will my 3 year old Satsuma tree finally produce some fruit?"  The citrus guru (Ben Becnel) once told me...give a tree 3 years to produce, but if it doesn't, yank it out.  So far it has some blossoms so I'll be watching to see if it sets any fruit.  Such problems us retirees have!  Stay tuned!

No comments: