Thursday, April 13, 2017

Dry Spell May End...

After getting some significant rainfall the 1st several days of April, we have seen zero for the past 9-10 days.   That’s not a big deal right now as our highs are only in the 80s.  In 4-6 weeks, we’ll be flirting with 90+ every day and prolonged dry spells will impact lawns and gardens to a much greater extent.   Right now I’m getting away with watering my plants every other day and my lawn about once a week.   So when will it rain again?  Usually after I get my car washed! Or…when a big event is coming. (Easter)    The past several days have felt delightful as dew points have been in the 40s & 50s, but that is about to change.  Winds will shift back off the Gulf by late Friday and you’ll start to feel the difference in the air.  Will it be warmer?  Not really, but it will FEEL warmer with higher humidity.  As dew points get back into the 60s, we should start to see a few daytime heating showers on Saturday with even more on Easter Sunday.  It won’t rain all day, but it won’t be as pretty as today either.  Historically, April & May have brought us some of our worst floods since fronts lose their southward push and often stall near or around us.  That creates the potential for “training” of storms over the same track resulting in enormous totals in a short period of time.  I don’t see any front coming for this weekend, but we could see some training of showers that could soak some spots while others not far away remain dry.

 

I have just returned from 5 wonderful days in Puerto Vallarta where the weather was very similar to ours.   Many thousands of Americans have 2nd homes there as the cost of living is very inexpensive.  It truly is one of the prettiest places on Earth and it won’t break your bank to make a visit.   A quick Bubba update…he now has 4 small tomatoes with many more blossoms.  I have dusted him with Sevin as some critters (leaf miners) started to show up.  If all goes well, I should have some tomatoes to pick in about 4 weeks.   Bozo (satsuma) has kept some fruit so I will allow him at least another season to show me he can be a productive tree.  See where today is David Bernard’s birthday.  Scary to think I’m old enough to be his Father!   But then that’s why I’m retired!  Stay tuned!

No comments: