Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Gert Gone...More to Come...

As we say goodbye to Hurricane Gert tonight as she pulls away from the U.S. east coast, our attention will refocus back on the MDR (Main Development Region) or TNA (Tropical North Atlantic).  There are 3 distinct waves that could develop into 3 named storms during the next 7-10 days.  The closest in wave is projected to stay way south, much like Bret & Don, and track thru the southern Caribbean.   The second system is expected to be at a higher latitude and could threaten the Leeward Island over the weekend.  The 3rd wave could end up being the strongest, but it too is expected to stay at an even higher latitude and recurve long before threatening the U.S. East Coast.  I’m sure there will be more to come, but I’m encouraged by what appears to be a “ recurvature” track established by Gert that is followed by the next 2 storms.   No model is projecting any storms in the Gulf during the next 10-14 days.   That will take us into September which often is the most active month.  If we can just get thru the next 6 weeks into October, I’ll begin to relax as the fronts will be coming by then.  Long time to go so stay tuned!

 

I’m sure many of you are as disturbed, disgusted & depressed by the events in Virginia this past weekend.   There are and always will be hate groups in this country & our Constitution protects their right to exist.  Though I don’t accept their views, I understand how they have them.  For instance, where I grew up in North West Indiana, it was a very ethnic mix of white eastern European immigrants.  There was such prejudice that I remember my Mama telling me she had to ask my Dad’s Mother for permission to marry my Father.  Why?   Because she was Polish & my Dad was 100% Slovak.  Seems these Eastern Europeans didn’t want to “inter-marry”.   They had their own Catholic Churches & Schools & didn’t like being around each other.   I often thought if these white folks couldn’t get along with each other, no wonder they couldn’t like the blacks & Hispanics.  Fortunately my generation started the turnaround of thought, but the battle for civil rights was ugly & sometimes violent during the 60s.   I understand because I was raised in a very prejudiced environment.  My Grandmother hated all ethnic groups (poor Mrs. Finkelstein down the street) & races.  But I’m proud that I was able to change that thinking in me & my family.  Understanding, tolerance for different viewpoints, & a willingness to co-operate.   We are the World and let’s hope the majority of us remember what America really is…the United States.

No comments: