Monday, February 12, 2018

Huge Warm Up Coming...

Walking Bailey tonight I had on my winter weather gear as it’s a damp cold with a nippy breeze.  OK, so it’s 50 degrees here while it’s below zero across the northern tier of states.  I know I shouldn’t be whining & I’m not since computer models are building a warm ridge over the Southeast for the next 7-10 days.  That should result in our highs soaring back above 70, perhaps flirting with 80 later this week.   It won’t come in time for Mardi Gras, but even tomorrow will be milder with temps in the 60s.   I’m so glad I don’t have to get in front of the camera anymore and pretend I know what’s going on since computer models have been nearly clueless this past week.  I noticed yesterday said no rain on Mardi Gras and today it’s back to 30-40%.  C’mon, talk about lack of confidence in model guidance!   We all know the dreaded SW upper flow creates model confusion and that has been the case for over a week.  But now it appears an upper level ridge will build over the northern Gulf states making forecasting far easier for the rest of this week.   However, we have to get through Mardi Gras tomorrow and I notice David seemed a little nervous pointing out some T-Storms not too far south of the Louisiana Coast.   Hopefully they’ll stay there and rain won’t be an issue for Fat Tuesday?

 

The coming warm spell/Spring preview should really get the grasses & trees growing again.   It’s a little too early to say we’re done with any freezes, but once past Feb. 20th, the higher daily sun angle will make any hard freeze opportunity difficult to come by.  Remember, there’s still plenty of Arctic air not too far away, but RIGHT NOW there are no signs of that coming our way for the next 10-14 days.  By then we’ll almost be into March.  Stay tuned & Happy Mardi Gras Gang!

No comments: