Friday, March 2, 2018

This is MY 2nd Aniversary...

Yep Gang, it was 2 years ago tonight that I said goodbye to my 45 years in broadcasting.  It started in Tampa back in Feb. 1971 (WTVT-TV Ch. 13), took me to Dayton, Ohio for 5 years (WDTN-TV2 1973-78) and eventually to NOLA 1978 to 2016.   It was a terrific ride with many ups and downs.   I was a Yankee(Hammond, Ind.) replacing a Legend (Nash Roberts) and that presented many challenges.   I did school talks, service clubs, bingos anything that would get my name out to the public.  But it was going on local radio in 1983 (B-97 FM, first with Scoot in the Morning & then with Walton & Johnson) that got me name recognition.   I did radio until 1989 when my body finally said I couldn’t be up until midnight and on the radio at 6 AM anymore.   I still did the school & service clubs talks, but radio was confined only to the afternoon hours.   It was a wonderful career that I left, but it was time to go, and I have no regrets.   David Bernard has done a wonderful job continuing the tradition of YOUR WEATHER AUTHORITY.  He is just what I wanted & I know most of you agree.

 

Wow, what a wonderful day with bright sun, low humidity & comfy temps.  Saturday looks to be another winner before some humidity & warmer air returns for Sunday & Monday.  A stronger front will; bring showers and much cooler air for much of next week with highs struggling to top 60 & lows in the 30s & 40s.  I have been warning you that Winter is not over and we’ll need the sweaters & coats for much of next week.  March will not be as warm as our record setting February and that below normal pattern could linger into early April.  That is not a bad thing as our daily normal/averages keep going up so that below normal just means “less hot” ! 

 

The Mississippi River Crest is forecasted on March 13h at 17.0’.  My feelings are that the Corps will NOT open any bays of the Spillway unless the forecast crest gets higher than 17’.  The current storm on the West Coast could bring more rain to the Ohio Valley next week, but it shouldn’t be enough to increase the crest here.  Stay tuned!

No comments: