Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Where Have All The Birdies Gone?

Back in my youth, Peter, Paul & Mary had a hit song," Where Have All the Flowers Gone? " written in 1955 by Pete Seeger.  Well I have plenty of flowers, but very few birds.   We all know with the current virus crisis, all sports are postponed for now, including golf.  I'm not talking about those birdies & eagles the Pros shoot, but the lack of birdies around my house.  I have 2 bird feeders and the only birds I've seen in the past 2 weeks have been a blue jay, a cardinal and a dove.  There have been zero sparrows or finches and I wonder if anyone else has noticed the lack of birds?



 Oh my renovated bird condo does have a black crow, but that's it.   Saw where the NY Lion caught Covid 19.  Could birds catch it too?   Where are they?   I miss them.



Today's weather map has the same set up in place with the deep upper trough along the West coast keeping them cool and wet while much of the rest of the country has warmed up.   Models continue to advertise a pattern change is coming that will make the next 2 weeks noticeably cooler.  But in the short term, Wednesday into Thursday will stay warm and muggy with highs in the 80s.  A front arrives late Thursday stalling alone the coast for Friday.  As the upper energy off the West Coast kicks eastward for Saturday, we could turn stormy followed by much cooler highs (60s & 70s) for next week.  Some 40s are even possible on the North Shore.
Thought this picture of Colorado was neat.  They have no clouds but a tremendous snowpack that normally would still have skiers hitting the slopes into April.  But not this year as, just like the Gulf Coast beaches, all ski areas are shut down due to Covid 19.   I guess out there, they are singing "Where have all the skiers gone?"   Bummer.  Stay tuned!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I live in Waveland. I have plenty finches. Saw one blue jay, i hear many cardinals. Plenty doves.....

Ron Martin said...

We have the same issue in lacombe with the lack of birds... just all of a sudden....no birds but the squirrels are everywhere.

Unknown said...

One morning last week, I went on the patio and the holly tree behind my house was full of birds, singing and flying around. They were so pretty and the singing made me happy. Next morning I expected the same thing when I went out. No birds, no singing none. There is only a pair of doves and a black bird and no singing...you ask , where did the birds go. I, too would like to know. It’s weird. P. S. I miss your news even tho I like the guy there ok. 😂😃

Anonymous said...

Birdsong is plentiful here in Pville

Anonymous said...

Same thing on the Northshore near Mandeville. I have Bluejays stopping by my yard and a woodpecker or two in the wooded lot next to me. Nothing else.

Frank said...

Do the birds know something we don't?? They left us.