Friday, June 21, 2019

Here's The Catch...

Last week I posted about a Ron Swoboda booking signing (Here's the Catch) event.  I'm halfway through reading it and I've reached the part where he shows old photos of himself with some of baseball greats from the past (Casey Stengel, Willie Mays, Gil Hodges etc).  How neat to see how young he looked with these greats past their primes.  Reminds me of my latest Acadian Window commercial that pictures me from 1980 when I was 32 years young.  (Dark hair, no wrinkles)  If you are a baseball fan, Ron's book is a winner.  It's full of stories told only as Ron can.  I still hate it that his Mets caught & beat out my Cubbies.  However, the '69 Mets had superior pitching and that is what carried them in the end.  Ron is off to NYC for a Met's 50th reunion week.  His book captures those moments that made them the Amazing Mets.  I suggest you but it & enjoy.

Another Heat Advisory...but " Here's the Catch".   For the next 2-3 months, unless we have our daily showers & T-Storms around, each day will have the heat index 100+.   Every day we have to take precautions when working or playing outside.  The beauty of our Summer heat (if there is any!) is it allows our body to acclimate, unlike cities farther north where temperatures bounce up and down with each passing front.     I remember being in Chicago finding the heat feeling worse than here.  Why?   You could have a stretch of 90+ days followed by a cold front that dips temps into the 60s & 70s followed by a rebound back to 90+.  The body never acclimates to the heat.   Here, we get hot and stay hot.   Denver is in the 50s tonight with snow at the higher elevations.  In another week they could be 90-95+.   That makes it hard on the body to adjust.

I've been watering my potted plants daily, but there is some relief in sight.  Sunday PM should see some isolated (10-20%) pm storms increasing to 40-50% on Monday.  The real rain chances increase  late next week when coverage could top 60-70%.  That would help lower our temps making us less hot.   Otherwise, if you want to be cool, head north my friend.   Stay tuned!

No comments: