Friday, July 12, 2019

Barry Building Towards Hurricane?

The NHC (National Hurricane Center) has been very consistent in their messaging and their latest track forecast didn't change.  It is still west of Morgan City moving near Lafayette and then west of Baton Rouge.  You can go to their website to read all of their thinking.  During my nearly 4 decades of broadcasting in NOLA,  what I felt later in my career is the viewer asking..."What does Bob think?" (Before me, Nash)  So here are my observations.   The north part of the storm is still exposed with several swirls/vortices circulating around the center.   There has been a burst of T-Storms south of the center that appears to be overtaking it.  That MIGHT mean the center is relocating farther to the south.  The real problem is the lack of forward motion.  NHC is saying west at 5 mph, but I see a stalled storm.  The longer it stays over the warm Gulf, the more likely it will great stronger and become a hurricane, which NHC now predicts.   I'm still nervous about the future track.   If it ends up west of Morgan City then I think NOLA will miss the brunt of the storm.  The lack of motion gives me little confidence in that forecast.   We all need to make sure we have supplies and can stay "hunkered down" for the next 2-3 days.  The Rolling Stones Concert has been moved back to Monday.  Will that mean Barry is gone by then?  Maybe not.  Stay tuned!

No comments: