Monday, November 6, 2023

Fall Flowers Waiting For Showers

Gosh, it's had to do a daily post since nothing is happening as we start the second week in November. So I'm digging deep into my quest to be different when I have no weather to report.  Take my backyard, please!  All my potted plants are doing great since I water every other day.  My three bougainvillea's are looking great along with my petunias & violas.   





I did water my lawn yesterday & it immediately turned from brown to green within a couple of hours.  We need rain, but our changes look pretty slim despite a weak front arriving on Friday.




Our only hope would be for that front to stall just along our coast and some over running rains spread back over us for the weekend.  Could that happen?  Sure, but when in drought, leave it out!




We are starting to see the southern stream (sub-tropical jet) get more active, but it's bringing only higher level cirrus over us.  It's a sign that the El Nino season (more active southern storms) is about to kick in.  Currently, (bottom view) we have a west to east flow that might let a front stagger through, but the real cold air will stay well to our north.






it's really amazing how most of the nation has no rain (or snow) falling this afternoon.  When Denver & Chicago are around 70, you know we have no cold air coming in the short (3-5 days) term. It's getting colder up in northern Canada, but we have to have a change (East Coast trough) for the cold to come southward.



Most of our state is in an exceptional drought & it appears we'll easily break the record for driest year at MSY.  In 2000 only 28.88" fell.  So far in 2023 we're at 27.25".  In the next 9 weeks, we need to get less than 11.62" to become # 1.   I love our current comfy cool nights & warm-ish days, but we really need some rain.  Stay tuned!

No comments: