Monday, June 23, 2008

June Staying Quiet...

All of the long range computer models continue to show no tropical development through the next 7-10 days. Part of the reason is strong upper winds, that helped keep storms away from the U.S. last year, are still there. Wind shear usually does not allow for tropical systems to organize and strengthen. Let's hope it lasts all summer. Haven't heard about any African dust yet, but if that prevents storm formation, bring it on!

In an effort to educate myself on the latest regarding Climate Change research, I will be attending the AMS annual Broadcaster's Conference in Denver for the rest of this week. Part of the conference is a day trip to NCAR (Nat'l Center for Atmospheric Research). I have been there before, but that was in the early 90s before Global Warming was such a hot topic. (no pun intended) There will be a panel discussion with 4 pro "alarmists" (CO2 is the main driver) and 1 "skeptic" (Warming cycles are natural in the history of the planet). Hummmm...sounds balanced to me!?! I may not have computer access so updating my blog could be difficult...but I'll try to post any developments from the Conference. If any storm should form in the Gulf, of course I'll fly back ASAP.

2 comments:

Caveman said...

"In an effort to educate myself..." Couldn't have said it better. Meteorologist would be lost without their computer models, computers do 99% of all their forecasting, they just put it into words for the public. Thats why many colleges have broadcast meteorologist programs, you are not a meteorologist just a TV personality.

weatherman said...

Do you think that Tropical Storm Bertha will make landfall somewhere in the U.S.?