Sunday, January 5, 2014

Words Do Matter

Have been watching TV folks describe the current cold surge moving down over the lower 48 as "historic, unbelievable, EPIC".    Really?  So I went to look up EPIC and found this;

3. epic. A word, whose meaningful definition(s)and correct applications are now obscured and have been raped to death mostly by the 25 and under crowd.

Yep, that's what I thought, especially after remembering the brutally cold Christmas outbreak of December 1982 when I had to pick up my brother-in-law at the train station in downtown Chicago.  The temperature reached -25 WITH WINDCHILLS OF -70 TO -80 !   Now that was EPIC, but the younger crowd wasn't born yet so they have little past history.

Today I'm been busy covering all my potted plants & bushes that I want to survive the coming freeze.   You have to go back to Jan. 2010 (21 degrees) to find the last time we had a hard freeze on the South Shore.  The North Shore could get to as cold as 10 degrees on Tuesday morning so this current cold spell will require FULL PRECAUTIONS on both sides of Lake P.    Is it gonna be "record breaking"?   Perhaps, but EPIC?    Nah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Bob, for putting this in perspective.

AlbanySnowMaker said...

Ok Bob, so what is with the southern jet getting active with radar returns showing up around south Texas?!? I see the nws raised lows for Monday night because of increased cloud cover... Is there disturbance coming?? :-)