Thursday, November 23, 2017

Remembering Thanksgiving...

As you get older, usually life changes…sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.  Growing up in my preteens, Thanksgiving was always shared at both Grandparent’s houses.  First we went to my Dad’s parents where all the women (considered sexist now) cooked & served the men & children.   It was the full “Nellie” meal with bucoo turkey, dressing, green beans, mashed potatoes, cranberry slices & bread.  It was great1   Once I got old enough, found out that Grandpa served a pre-meal drink (Rock & Rye) in the pantry for the men.   Desserts were usually Polish/Slovak pastries or pies with ice cream.  That lasted until around 2 pm.   Then it was off to the other Grandparents for the evening meal.  Not sure how I could eat so much, but we did.  Alas, those times are long gone as family members have either died off or moved to other parts of the country.  Memories are nice, but I really miss those times of my youth.  Never understood the saying “youth is wasted on the young” until I got older.  I appreciate so much more now that I’m “old”.    Hopefully some of you still have those family gatherings.  Enjoy them as our life journey marches on.  Happy Thanksgiving Gang!

 

Weather-wise, today was near perfect with bright sunshine and a crispy cool feel to the air.   As long as you’re dressed for it, this coolness feels great.   We will see some warming for the next couple of days with no real cold front returning for the next 5-7 days.  Signs still point to a much colder pattern developing once into December.  Perhaps you have noticed how brown the neutral ground grasses have gotten with our lack of rainfall for the past 6 weeks.   We really could use a good soaking rain, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.   Stay tuned!

No comments: