Tuesday, November 28, 2017

We Never Learn From History...

I remember after Katrina that our government (FEMA) sent millions of dollars to Louisiana to help the rebuilding effort.  That sounded good until I read of several new companies, with no past track record of business, were created just to get large FEMA contracts.  How could they do that when they had no equipment or employees?  Political connections.   Fast forward to the BP oil spill and buda boom, same thing…new companies created to receive FEMA contracts through political connections.  But there’s more (ala Lee Zurik!) as I read today of a new company created after the destructive hurricanes of this past summer.  Seems they got a $30 million contract from FEMA to provide the blue roof tarps, but are not able to fulfill the contract.   Hummm…what smells here?   Could it be political connections & who you know up the “food chain”?  Tax payers beware.  We need to know who’s getting into our wallets.  

 

While we continue to enjoy a pleasant November with cool nights and comfy days, big changes could be coming in the 7-10 day time frame.   Many computer models indicate a much colder pattern will develop with a deep upper trough over the eastern states that could last from early December into mid-January.   Alaska still isn’t super cold nor is Canada and I’ll be watching to see if any Siberian air spills over to our part of the World.   In the short term, we’ll be Spring-like warm for Wed-Thurs. with a very weak front on Friday.  Not sure if any rain will be with that front, but we surely need it.  It looks like November 2017 will end up as the driest on record.  I’m watering my garden so the annuals I planted are really thriving with the current mild spell.   I know the other shoe will drop eventually, but I promised weeks ago that  I won’t whine too much.  Stay tuned!

No comments: