Saturday, February 16, 2019

Ain't Dere No More...

With the help of  David, my "can do anything neighbor", we finally picked all of my grapefruit with nothing left on the tree.  I thought I had 59 left, but David found 76 up dere snipping even the highest ones on top.   The tree is loaded with new buds about to blossom so I'll probably have another bumper crop next fall.   With the next 5-7 days looking way above normal, it appears we'll get through February without a freeze threat.   It will turn colder for the weekend before Mardi Gras, but I see no return of the deep east coast upper trough that could bring down the chill from up north.   Canada remains very cold (25-35 below zero), but SW upper flow for the next 7-10 days will keep that chill way up north. In the short term, Sunday will be warm again after a foggy start.  A weak front will sag through for Monday dropping temps 15-20 degrees, but it will quickly retreat back to the north on Tuesday.   That frontal boundary (David calls it "The Battle zone") will be the focus for numerous rounds of heavy rainfall.   Right now, the heaviest rainfall zone should be well to our north across north & central LA/MS.    Any shift to the south would bring the heavy rain threat closer to us.   

After picking grapefruit, David assisted me in taking down my bird condo for repairs & repainting.   Once into March, the birds will be building nests and getting ready to produce new families.  I'll have the condos finished and ready just in time for Spring.   FYI...I will be away from any computers for the next 4-5 days and will rejoin you again late next week.  Stay tuned!

No comments: