Friday, February 22, 2019

February to Finish Warm...

When I last posted, it was way too warm.  Now 5 days later, it's still warm too warm as today's high reached 81.  The biggest change I noticed is the water temperatures in Lake Pontchartrain have risen to the mid 60s with Shell Beach now topping 70.  Hopefully that should mean the trout fishing is recovering from the usual winter lull.   We do have a front coming for Saturday night with some cooler air for Sunday & Monday, but the cool down will not be drastic.  In fact, we'll still be slightly above normal.  Ahead of the front could be some strong storms on Saturday with the real severe threat remaining farther to our north.  Next week continues our warm trend, but models still are hinting for quite a chill coming for the weekend before Mardi Gras.  We are not done with the Winter cold even though Meteorological Spring arrives on March 1st.  I mentioned several blogs ago that we could be colder during the major parades of Mardi Gras than what most of February has been.  It appears that will be the case, but the higher sun angle and the longer days should result in the cold being less severe than what often happens during January & February.  My grapefruit tree is loaded with blossoms again  so I'm looking forward to another bumper crop next Fall.

While I was away, it was sad to hear about Carl Arredondo announcing his retirement from Ch. 4.   Carl almost worked for me back in the late 90s before he was appointed the Chief Met. at WWL-TV.  He is a really good person and I wish him the best.  Stay tuned!

No comments: