Sunday, May 3, 2020

I Do Remember...

My attic contains a wealth of my broadcasting history, including many of my friends who have passed to the next life.  One of the things that has changed in broadcasting weather during the past 50 years is how you become "known" or popular in the market as that is your leverage against management when your contract comes up for renewal.  Now it's all about posting on social media 10, 15, 20 times a day.  We didn't have that back then.

My 2 ways to success/popularity were to get on a top radio station (B-97 FM here , Scoot in the morning, then Walton & Johnson) and go out to schools and service clubs.  I did 2-3 of those each week or over a hundred plus each year. (Over 4,000 during my career!)  I loved talking to kids and they loved me. (I was their size!)


 Continuing that tradition of helping children, my wife Brenda is on the local board for CAPS FOR KIDS, a national non-profit that brings smiles to children suffering with cancer, and I fully support her efforts. We'd like to share the above article that's in the May/June issue of INSIDE NORTHSIDE Magazine thanks to publisher Lori Murphy.  The link below connects you to the digital magazine.


 
We appreciate your interest & the support of those that help in bringing "smiles" to these children. Enjoy all of this lovely magazine which includes another article on FOX 8's John Snell's amazing ability to capture nature through photography.
 
 
Today is an weather anniversary for me as it was the first of the "hundred year floods".  I joined Ch. 8 April 3rd 1978 and on May 3rd, over one foot of rain fell in less than 8 hours.   Streets became rivers, cars and homes were flooded and it awakened local officials that NOLA had a problem on its hands.  This was not a hurricane, just a stalled out frontal boundary that created a "training effect"  The late Alec Gifford was my news director and he placed me on the hood of a flooded car outside of Ch. 8.  It was my 1st live weather shot that I'll always remember.


Today we are seeing some clouds as the return flow comes in off the Gulf.  The main frontal boundary is way to our north and that is where SPC places the severe weather threat.



Most of the nation has warmed up and you can see a surge of Gulf moisture (higher dew points 60s) all the way up into Kentucky.   Low pressure will move along the front dragging the western end as a cold front by early Wednesday.  Until then, we'll be warm, humid & summer-like.   Long range models keep the fronts coming into next week and beyond.   It would be nice if Summer doesn't set in until late May or early June.   Hey, maybe the increasing heat will kill Covid-19!  If so, I think many of us would say..."BRING ON THE HEAT"!   Stay home, Stay healthy and stay tuned!

No comments: