Thursday, December 24, 2020

It's Feeling Like Christmas...Freeze Coming

After highs 70+ yesterday, a strong front plowed though bringing us heavy rainfall *1"+), high winds (gusts 50+) and colder air.  In fact, until the sun came back out, we were in the 40s most of today with brisk north winds.




The clearing line on satellite views is very dramatic and the 15-25 mph winds make the 50 degrees feel like 40 outside.  You will need the heavy coats tonight.  What I fear is the lows on Saturday morning will be colder than those everyone is predicting.


NWS is predicting 25-28 north and 32-35 South for Saturday.  I'm thinking it could be colder since the center of the surface high will be right over us (little wind) an skies will be clear.   If you live north or west of Lake P., I would be prepared for lows 20-25 Saturday AM.  South of Lake P, I'm thinking 28-32 IF winds go calm and there is no lake effect warming.



The good news with this cold front is we should stay sunny for the next 2 days, perhaps longer.  The first below zero readings of this season have moved down out of Canada with single digits as far south as Dubuque, Iowa.  This has been a well advertised cold snap and the upper wind forecast is calling for a major Nor'Easter with hurricane force winds Christmas Day across much of the North East.



The top graphic is this morning's upper flow with the middle being the forecast for tomorrow.  Notice it cuts off a low over Virginia and that will be the trigger for a deep surface low that will bring heavy rains (2-4") on its east side and a blizzard for folks to the west.  So while we are sunny & cold, it could be far worse.  The Arctic air coming out of Canada has moderated somewhat, but it's still plenty cold.  In addition, some light rain has finally moved into southern California.


It's not much, but they will take anything after being dry for months.  And finally...

From Santa Breck, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and hope you stay healthy during this unusual year and holiday season.  Ho,Ho,Ho !!!  Stay tuned!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas and happy new year Bob! Thanks for continuing to post and for all your valuable forecasts during this past hurricane season. Here's to a better 2021!

Michael in Thibodaux said...

Bob, a most Merry Christmas to you and Brenda! Also, a Happier New Year!

Rexthompson said...

I agree ! Bob! I know do not remember me but I am the guy that you the hi am low temperatures back in the early 80,s! I hv ave enjoyed a very long career in broadcasting! I never could come to work with you because you had high standards.. but I made and I’m still active on television! I just want to thank you for you have done and will continue to do in the future! And all the haters on this site! Please give Bob a chance! He has been there for us for years! Bob! I love you with all of my heart❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas Bob. You have always been my favorite source. I am still hoping for some of the frozen precipitation this winter. What are the odds?

Linda said...

Merry Christmas. Sure appreciate you!