Friday, August 3, 2018

Better Dull than Crazy...

I used to look forward to August & September since that is typically the time of the year we track tropical disturbances.  I knew if we had something to follow, the viewers would be paying more attention to my daily broadcasts.   Then came Katrina and I didn’t look forward to August or September anymore.   I just wanted it to be dull all the time rather than feel the anxiety brought by tropical threats.  August 2018 so far is looking dull, at least for the next 10-14 days.   The way the Atlantic is set up with African dust & cooler than normal SSTs, I would expect if we are to see a threat during the next 6-8 weeks, it will come from a close in disturbance, probably forming along an old frontal boundary.  None of the models have anything forming so I guess we can enjoy the dull tropics for a while longer.

 

Today’s T-Storms were basic slow moving, tropical downpours covering roughly 40-50% of our area.   The increase cloud cover & showers resulted in temperatures staying below 90 and that’s a welcomed treat for early August. Saturday & Sunday should see no major changes before the upper ridge builds back over us for next week resulting in a return to the low to mid 90s.   Stay tuned!

No comments: