Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Tropics Have Gone Quiet, Almost...

After an active 2-3 weeks where we were tracking 5 systems at once,  we have nothing to follow tonight.   Sure there are several areas to watch, but no model brings any threats into the Gulf during the next 5-7 days.   I still think we could see another smaller burst of activity between Sept. 26th  through October 5th, but if models prove correct, any storms will stay to our east.   There are signs that a real cold front will finally arrive during the first week in October and if you look farther up north you’ll see temps are in the 40s across Montana though the Dakotas.  With Fall beginning on Saturday, we still have many more above normal days before relief plunges our way.  Today’s high of 97 was the 4th straight day of record heat.  We weren’t this hot all summer!  Often the weather goes from one extreme to the other so don’t be surprised to see the last half of October into November go to below normal chilly temperatures.  Yet, sweater weather is coming and for many it won’t be soon enough.  Stay tuned!

Passed on to the next life this evening
Many of us remember people that come into our lives and make a difference.   At the University of Michigan, it was Professors Portman & Kuhn who help me get through a difficult engineering curriculum.  My early TV mentors were Chicago Weathermen John Coleman (Founder of The Weather Channel) & Harry Volkman with Tampa legend Roy Leep giving me my first on-air opportunity.  I am grateful to all of them.  When I came to NOLA back in 1978,  I had only been fishing once when I was a young teenager.    It was a Harahan fella named Luke Gennaro who took me fishing down the MRGO (Mississippi River Gulf Outlet).  I bought a K-mart Zebco push button reel, but it was “Captain Luke” who taught me how to fish.  Those early lessons are now a passion that I truly enjoy in retirement.    Unfortunately, Capt. Luke passed on to the next life this evening at age 89.   I am so blessed to have him come into my life.   He made a better Bob.   Sail on Captain…

No comments: