Sunday, May 10, 2020

Happy Mother's Day...

Yes, today is a special day for those women who have given life to a little child.  I have posted this message before, but I share it again as kind of a Mother's Day tradition for me  since I lost my Mama 5 years ago.


                                        I Remember Mama

I remember Mama when I was 4 years old after I hit my head running into a table in our basement.  I golf ball size knot on my noggin' scared me, but Mama said I would be OK...and she was right.

I remember Mama when I went to Kindergarten crying thinking she wouldn't come back for me.  She said she would and she did.

I remember Mama stricken with arthritis in her 40s, taking hot wax treatments with Dad's help, refusing to become a "cripple", vowing to go on living and moving...and she did.

I remember Mama when I took her and Dad to Hawaii on their 50th wedding anniversary (1994) that was as much a celebration for me as it was for them.  Dad said he wouldn't go.  Mama said he would...and they did!

But I'll always remember Mama the day we said goodbye to Dad.  After burying my brother's wife the day before, and after a long wake for my Father the next day, Mama couldn't go no more.  On the day of the funeral, she collapsed into my arms and onto the floor, to weak to even stand.  I assured her that my sisters and I would take care of "Pop" and we put her to bed to sleep and rest.  After the church service on the way to the cemetery, I used my cell phone to call Mama to let her know the funeral procession would pass by their house.  She was able to get up to our large front window and, as the hearse drove by, waved a final goodbye to the man she shared life with for 57+ years.  I could clearly see the love she still had for Dad.

And that is always how I remember my Mama.

Many of you still have your Mothers living to share this special day.  Take the time to share with other family members stories about your Mother, because the time will come when all you'll have are memories of Mama.

I'll  post later this PM about the weather. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Steven Madere said...

Just lost my mom on Valentine's Day. She was always there, always giving until the pend.